Oakwood Academy is a special school for pupils aged 9-19 years who have a range of moderate and/or complex learning difficulties.
At Oakwood Academy we encourage pupils to respect the fundamental British values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
“We are united in the belief that together we can inspire all learners to dream, persevere and achieve so that we can change lives for the better now and for future generations to come.”
Career Connect gives students, teachers and parents access to information, advice and guidance. Please use the link on this page for more information.
School Development Plan
To view the School Development Plan please click on the download below.
- To provide an imaginative, broad and balanced curriculum.
- To encourage pupils to develop effective attitudes towards learning the basic skills.
- To provide a secondary curriculum.
- To recognise individual achievements through appropriate certification and awards.
- To encourage pupils to be placed in mainstream high schools, whenever possible.
- To foster equality of opportunity for pupils in a supportive, learning environment.
- To prepare the pupils for adult life.
- To develop and maintain pupils’ self esteem and success.
- To monitor and review pupils’ progress through action plans and regular reviews.
- To develop and establish effective supportive links between the school and the community.
- To develop shared values within the school’s curriculum and its community life.
Information and Communication Technology is widely used throughout school with all subject areas using computers, laptops, visualisers, interactive whiteboards etc. Pupils and staff alike can use the latest technology developments to enhance their work. Our school is becoming an important part of the local community and regularly participates in joint projects with local primary schools, community groups and industry, sharing resources and expertise. We have a strong tradition in our pupils reaching the highest levels in every walk of life, including Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award achievers, sports personality winners and these live on in our school today.
We take pride in our school and the buildings are well looked after, beautifully enhanced by displays of pupils’ work. All the stakeholders in Oakwood are aware of the ambitious and exciting plans we have for the future.